Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Purpose of my Adventure

While I am thinking abt my adventure, I thought I would tell you what made me want to go!

In a nutshell, I am an Italian-Irish Aussie. My grandparents on mum's side were born in Treviso (Venezia), and on dad's side, my great, great (?) grandfather was Irish.

So I am one of those mixed up people with half the world in my blood! :p Italian, Irish, Spanish, Polish, German, etc...

Since I was about 17 I have had the urge to go and visit the countries of my origins. It took me 10yrs, but I FINALLY made it :)

I was determined to go alone simply because I felt I needed to explore my roots with nothing to hold me back... because I just felt the urge and knew if I didn't go now, I would have difficulty finding time to do it later. I would've loved to have a friend go with me, but I didn't feel it was right at that point in time. Although it was a scary thought, going overseas for the first time alone, it was weeeeellll worth it!

It was definitely an eye-opening experience! London was just an 'extra' I felt I HAD to do, Italy was great, but I didn't feel as connected to the country as I had anticipated..and by the time I was on my way to Ireland, I just had a strong sense that I was "going home". After returning to London for one night before going to Ireland, mum sent me a text saying she felt that too.

I think of this adventure as a Spiritual Journey of sorts. I no longer feel the 'burden' to explore my roots, and I have a better understanding of what makes me.
What I expected to see and feel were not necessarily what I did see and feel.

I have a greater sense of who I am and why... and learned so much from this adventure.

1 comment:

Rehman Akram said...

It is a good to explore your roots, I have written about my recent travel to china and would write more about my place of origin.